Monday, September 13, 2010

It's the ELEVATORS again.



There's something  mysterious about the grain elevators we have been painting now for several weeks. Last year it was the wheat fields. This year it's the river and the elevators. It also has come to mind that this painting process plein air is an excuse to hang out with Tim and to just be 'the guys'. It's hard work being with the ladies...the wives, I mean here. If Tim belches at the table I don't care.We're eating beakfast and we both grew up with brothers where belching and the like was more of a contest than a faux pas. Okay were cave men.So what? So back to the elevator which I keep calling again the mill. But these never did grist grain. They were used to store grain between transfer from field to processing. Still, there's something awesome in their structure.The height of these old monsters is amazing to me. This was when a local three story building was a big thing in this area. Indianapolis, of course, would have large buildings but even the small town of Mexico Indiana has an elevator. I did a really nice painting of the elevator office from that location. 
Tim is way over by the trees. He went over there to get out of the sun. I decided to stick it out in the sun because that was the best vantage point for the mill, I mean elevator. We've been at this for about two hours and I'm finishing up. The last time we were out, we painted the elevator at Rich Valley again.This is my seventh elevator painting. The sun was drying my paints out so fast I had to put great gobs of color on the paper and scrub it in to the areas I wanted to cool down or warm up depending on whether or not it was in sun or shade. Tim walked over when he saw me packing up. This 'paper'.. I can't do it. That means he doesn't like the paper he's working on because it has a large grain design on the surface. He works better on smooth pastel paper. His work is more painterly on that smooth texture. Well, these are what we did last time and this time since we were at elevators I threw them together. Summer's leaving and fall is well on it's way here. Even the trees are hinting at changing color. Days grow shorter and nights even shorter. I'm teaching three classes this semester at Ivy Tech in Art Appreciation and Art History 101,102 so when we get out to paint it is a big deal for me. Hey, Tim next Monday? 9? Tim replies Surrrrrrrrrrre...later.

No comments: